Hello Everyone, and Happy HUMP day to you! We have almost made it to the weekend! Although I have been trying to rid myself of this mentality… I want to live and appreciate everyday for what it is. I am really productive during the week, so I guess I’ll embrace that.
Anywho… before I began on my rant, lol… I was going to talk about ice cream. Oh ice cream! How I love you. Especially in the flavors of Rocky Road and Rainbow Sherbet! It has been crazy hot here in Southern California, and what is better than going to grab an ice cream with the family? Although it is a great treat to cool down, ice cream has its negatives. A lot of people I know are lactose intolerant, so even though they love a scoop or more of ice cream, it doesn’t always go well with their stomach. We can also blame ice cream for those added calories that get packed on. It is not the healthiest snack or dessert. So I started thinking… what are healthy alternatives that I have tried that work to soothe my ice cream itch. I only thought of 6, but here they are:
- Low Fat Ice Cream: Eating This is a great way to stay inside the ice cream family, but consume a lower amount of calories.
- Frozen Yogurt: This is so popular now. With everywhere from Yougurtland to Menchies, I am certain you will find something you like to satisfy your sweet tooth. Now try to choose health worthy toppings are well or you will defeat the whole purpose.
- Sorbet: So it is basically frozen fruit juice or flavored water and sugar. Use your fork or ice cream scoop to serve it up in a bowl and enjoy.
- Yogurt Parfait: Grab that low fat or fat free yogurt and layer your parfait with anything from strawberries to blueberries, to granola. Any fruit basically goes, and add some honey or agave for extra sweetness.
- Fruit Smoothies: Besides frozen yogurt this one has to be my favorite. I love smoothies! Especially made right in my kitchen. Combine your favorite fruits for amazing combinations for a slushy and fun drink. You can also add vegetables.
- Fruit Juice Popsicles: This one is mainly for the kids, but I enjoy it as an adult in summer. The best way is to do it at home. Pick a fruit juice (or make your own) without an ton of sugar, freeze, and enjoy! You’ll have a lovely snack that you and the kids can eat.
So there you have it. 6 alternatives to ice cream to keep you cool, and health conscious as we move into the summer months. I hope you like it! Be well you guys!
Live. Love. Well & Fit.